Monday, January 12, 2015

2014 Reading Recap

Let me start by recapping the last few years of my reading, in particular the years after I joined GoodReads and started actually trying to increase the number of books I read and tracking what I've read. The 50 books in a year sounded too daunting, so I went with a more reasonable number of30 books for 2012 instead.

I failed with 27 books.

Not quite defeated by this, I attempted to read 30 books again in 2013.

That time, I failed with 26 books, despite the fact I'd included several short stories that had been published as a singular entities as opposed to part of short story collections.

So last year, I originally though I would stop setting myself up for failure and challenge myself to 25 books instead. I had managed that in the past 2 years, I figured I might as well succeed this year. But I also had the urge to throw caution to the wind and just go for the 50 books challenge I had first heard about. 50 books seemed much more plausible now, especially since the new crazy goal on BookTube was 100 books in a year.  But it wasn't until the end of February, when I read a 6-book series within 2 weeks, that I really decided to commit to read 50 books in 2014.

It should surprise no one that I failed to read 50 books in 2014. Maybe one day I'll meet my reading goals, but it has yet to happen.

However, I failed with 48 books.

Guys.

48 BOOKS.

That's 21 books more than I've managed to read in the past 2 years!

I'd also like to do a quick recap of my reading habits in 2014. I've started buying and reading a lot more books on my Kindle. (Actually I use the Kindle app on my phone in order to read during my lunch break)

I did a lot more impulse book buying based on Amazon Daily Deals and Epic Reads Epic Deals, which is part of the reason I felt somewhat unsatisfied by what I read last year. When I looked over my ratings, there are a lot of 4-5 stars, so I can't say I didn't like most of the books I read. But part of the attempt to read so many books in one year did have me gravitating towards quicker reads, and I feel like by reading more books, I ended up with a larger percentage of books that were ok, as opposed to books I loved or hated. I put in my breakdown of the past 3 years below (cause I'm a nerd).

2012: 4-5 stars: 19 (70%); 3 stars: 4 (15%); 2 stars: 4 (15%);
2013: 4-5 stars: 17 (65%); 3 stars: 5 (19%); 2 stars: 4 (15%);
2014: 4-5 stars: 33 (69%); 3 stars: 12 (25%); 2 stars: 3 (6%);

In case you're interested, all the books I read in 2014 are listed beneath the cut, and the separate page with my running list will by updated to reflect 2015's books.


  1. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
  2. Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
  3. Cress by Marissa Meyer
  4. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
  5. Frostbite by Richelle Mead
  6. Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
  7. Blood Promise by Richelle Mead
  8. Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead
  9. Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
  10. Legend by Marie Lu
  11. Insurgent by Veronica Roth
  12. Nine Goblins by T. Kingfisher
  13. The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd
  14. Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin
  15. The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke
  16. Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige
  17. Tidal by Amanda Hocking
  18. Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
  19. Beautiful Chaos by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
  20. Graceling by Kristin Cashore
  21. Mirror Mirror by Gregory Maguire
  22. The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor
  23. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
  24. Seeing Red by Frank Beddor
  25. CIty of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
  26. Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
  27. ArchEnemy by Frank Beddor
  28. The Witch's Betrayal by Cassandra Rose Clarke
  29. Toad Words by T. Kingfisher
  30. The Automaton's Treasure by Cassandra Rose Clarke
  31. The Pirate's Wish by Cassandra Rose Clarke
  32. Valkyrie Symptoms by Ingrid Paulson
  33. Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
  34. Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout
  35. The Turn of the Story by Sarah Rees Brennan
  36. Elegy by Amanda Hocking
  37. CIty of Glass by Cassandra Clare
  38. Unmade by Sarah Rees Brennan
  39. The Brokenhearted by Amelia Kahaney
  40. THe Invisible by Amelia Kahaney
  41. The DUFF by Kody Keplinger
  42. The Witch Must Burn by Danielle Paige
  43. The Seventh Bride by T. Kingfisher
  44. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
  45. Gilded Ashes by Rosamund Hodge
  46. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
  47. Monstrous Affections by Kelly Link
  48. The Lightning Thief: The Graphic Novel by Rick Riordan

No comments:

Post a Comment