Monday, October 13, 2014

Book Review: Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Tiger Lily is a beautiful retelling of Peter Pan, with Tiger Lily as the main character (obviously) but narrated by Tinkerbell. I loved Tinkerbell's point of view, and although I am nothing like Tiger Lily, I related to her so much.

I also really liked how quickly I turned from taking Wendy's side from the canon Peter Pan story to everyone else's side in this story. I mean, in the Disney movie, everyone in Neverland (except Peter and the Lost Boys) hates Wendy practically upon sight. Seeing the movie from her point of view, Wendy had my sympathy, but after reading this book, it seems more likely that Wendy has a bad personality as opposed to everyone else on Neverland being crazy. Like that one saying goes, if you have a problem with everyone you know, you have to consider that you are the common link.
  • Addicting: 9/10
  • Coming of Age: 9/10
  • Romance: 8/10
  • Literary: 10/10
  • Social Commentary: 10/10
  • Overall rating: 46/50
Pick up this book if you like
  • Coming of age stories
  • Retellings of classic stories in general, or Peter Pan specifically
  • Multifaceted, flawed female lead you will love
  • Character-driven stories
Skip this book if you hate
  • Anything changing the canon Peter Pan story
  • Novels where the romance the book focuses on doesn't pan* out 
I originally borrowed this from the library, but I only got 2 pages into it before realizing I had to own a copy for my personal collection. I haven't reread it yet, as I've only just read it at the beginning of this year and so I can't recount it towards my reading challenge, but I'm planning on taking a break from the annual reading challenge next year to allow myself more freedom to reread and enjoy my books.

*Pun intended

No comments:

Post a Comment