Saturday, September 20, 2014

Book Raves: The Turn of the Story

So somewhere in between trying to finish The Lux series and City of Glass and considering whether or not I have time to reread Unspoken and Untold before the release of Unmade next Tuesday, I decided it would be a good idea to abandon all my other reads and go back to reading The Turn of the Story.

Sorry, everything else I've been excited for lately! Y'all are taking a backseat to this.

The Turn of the Story is a serialized story written by Sarah Rees Brennan (same author as Unmade, so I feel slightly less guilty about overshadowing its upcoming release), that was written as a present to her readers and is posted on her livejournal. While she has the brevity of George R.R. Martin (this 13 part series started as a short story), she also has the wit, imagination, and humor of Terry Pratchett at his best. Her words make me laugh out loud, fall into despair, shriek in frustration, and make me consider the politics of war and the dehumanization of our opposition in order to justify our own means while neglecting to see our shortcomings in reaching those ideals we insist make us better, sometimes all in the span of a few sentences. 

You should go read it right now, though you should know that the story does not end with part 13 on her blog, but with a separate short story all on its own. Wings in the Morning picks up right where part 13 leaves off, but from a different character's point of view, and is included in the anthology Monstrous Affections edited by Kelly Link and Gavin J. Grant, which I bought on my Kindle immediately after finishing part 13. I must say I prefer Elliot's POV to than that of the character in Wings in the Morning, but they both are fantastic. 

I have far too many things to talk about this series to fit into one post, but I will figure out a way to share everything with you sometime soon!

Happy reading,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment