Friday, September 12, 2014

What I'm Reading: The Lux Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout

I'm behind the times on just about everything, so it should be a surprise to no one that I've waited until a month after the release of Opposition, the fifth and final book of the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, to start the first book, Obsidian. Although I'd love to be a book hipster and know about all the awesome books before they become popular, in this case I am glad I didn't start the series until after all five books have been released, because oh boy, is this an addicting read. You can click on the links in the book titles to see the descriptions on Goodreads, but I've also written my own spoiler-free blurb of Obsidian below.
The Lux series follows Katy, a teenage book blogger who has just moved with her mother from Florida to West Virginia, and her attempts to befriend her new next door neighbors, twins Dee and Daemon Black. Though the twins are both tall, athletic, and attractive, the similarities end there. Dee is as friendly and bubbly as Daemon is rude and sarcastic. While Dee quickly becomes Katy's best friend, Daemon wants nothing to do with her, and he openly discourages her friendship with Dee. But there is more to this sleepy West Virginia town, and the Blacks, than meets the eye, and if Katy wants to stay alive, she's going to need the help of the one boy who is determined to have nothing to do with her. 
I started Obsidian last Friday, and I finished it Saturday morning. I then immediately bought the sequel, Onyx, and finished that on Sunday. Luckily for me, Onyx has a slightly more satisfying ending than Obsidian, so I was able to sleep and go back to work on Monday instead of immediately buying Opal and staying up all Sunday night reading it. That being said, I can't wait for this weekend so I can continue on with Opal, and I'm using it as a reward for completing some chores I have been procrastinating on.

I've still got more than half of the series to go, but I can't help but see tons of Twilight parallels. I'm starting to wonder how many of these are common YA paranormal romance tropes that were just made popular by the Twilight series. Either way, this book series is loads of fun, and I recommend it to fans of YA paranormal romance, whether or not you liked Twilight.

A word to the wise: don't pick up this series unless you have lots of time to devote to reading AND either own all 5 books or can easily access the sequels. This is not a series of satisfying endings with resolutions packaged nicely in bows. This is a series of plot twists and cliff hangers that you can't help but marathon. I plan to finish it by next weekend so I can be free to read Unmade as soon as it is released on September 23rd, but we'll see what happens.

I'm got some plans in the works for this blog, hopefully to be implemented this weekend, so you can look forward to seeing those soon. I won't make any promises about specific content or deadlines until after those changes are set in stone, but you can expect another post from me in the not-too-distant future.

Happy reading,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment